Thursday, January 15, 2015

When to laugh in a movie theater

There are so many awesome things I want to tell this blog, but I am waiting until the time is right. I've been in a long term relationship with a very special person, and want to shout to the world about the incredible things in our lives that should be celebrated but that right time hasn't come yet. When it does, I promise to write about the most interesting parts! In the meantime lets just say that I have an Indian Boyfriend.

So last night I sacrified sleep in exchange for watching Shankar's I, dubbed in Telugu (it was produced in Tamil) and with English subtitles with said Indian Boyfriend. It was a super movie from my perspective, but I'm not that harsh of a critic. I see entertainment as something to be consumed. Whether you are standing on the street with your hand dripping a little as you scoop a mouthwatering pani puri past your lips, or are sitting down at a fine dining restaurant to a full seven course meal, you probably aren't over-analyzing your meal. You just want it to taste good, be filling, and not cost an arm and a leg. I would say on average Indian cinema can deliver on that, but occasionally you taste something which you don't like (but others do) or even more rarely your meal isn't properly cooked and you want to send it back (I'm looking at you, Kareena Kapoor.) So in movie terms, instead of telling which plot point should have changed, the actors that should have been in the movie, and all of the other should have, would have, could haves, I try to just focus on the flavor and eek out what enjoyment there is.

I was most definitely enjoyable, and contained all the Tamil ihstyle you would expect. Highlights include a lengthy brawl in a male body building competition. Ladies and auntys rejoice, that is a scene that can be replayed for much enjoyment, and your male counterparts will surely enjoy looking on also to admire the impressive physiques.

The songs are beautiful and stunning, although somewhat jarring in Telugu. I imagine they must be worse in Hindi, this type of music you want to listen to in its natural tongue which is Tamil and I say its worth listening to even after the movie ends.

I was fascinated by the amount of sponsorship/product placement in this movie. Granted it focuses on a girl who acts in commercials, so the cheeky attitude about it was appreciated.

I don't want to give any spoilers but I watched this movie smiling just as I would eat a delicious laddoo.

One final thought, is that as a native English speaker, I find myself self conscious in these movies because I can read the subtitles faster than the proper timing in the dialogues is delivered. I have noticed I have adjusted when I laugh to match with the audience. Sometimes this is me holding in a chuckle that slowly builds into a rumbling roar if the joke is funny enough.

Do check out 'I', even if you're not normally a fan of south Indian film, it is definitely as consumable as any sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment