Thursday, September 18, 2014

Working hard to make an impact

The other night I decided that I want to soecially engage people more. I mean, I talk a lot, I speak to a lot of different people, and in general seem to be approachable and make new friends easily. Strangely enough, I don't always connect very closely, but I enjoy doing activities and my closer friends seem to be very occupied lately.

There's this great site called Meetup.com and it has topics by interest- Out and about, dance styles, hobbies, board games, cars, outdoors, hikes, you name it, its got everything. It even has some desi and Bollywood type stuff but one of my frustrations was that these places either contain the same recurring event over and over, or are very hit and miss to the content.

I thought it would be better if I bit the bullet and invested a little bit of time and a nominal fee to make an events group with a calendar I control. I even at some point was looking into integrating a calendar onto this blog, too, but I couldn't find a good looking plugin that I could control for it. I'm not a HTML or CSS whiz and just wanted something quick and dirty.

Meetup.com is affording me both an easy control of a calendar of events, plus a large audience of people craving to get together and do stuff!

I'm excited for this new endeavor and hope that I can meet people's expectations of the group. I hope I can provide relevant events happening in the area related to desis / Bollywood type events (including shamelessly promoting my own) as well as actual fun activities that can be anything from dinner, movies, bowling, snow shoeing or snow mobiling, hiking, water sports, there will always be stuff all year round.

I am looking forward to our first dinner tomorrow at PF Changs. I hope its the start of something really awesome. Let's see!

In the meantime I somehow am planning about 3 parties at once. September 27th is Seattle's Bollysutra Bollywood Hangover Dance party. I landed 2 venues for Halloween so Bollysutra's Bollywood Halloween SCREAM is going on October 31st along with another party at Corbu in Seattle I will be announcing soon - it will be EDM themed instead of Bollywood. I need to clone myself!

I love how ambitious I am and can't wait to see how I pull off the execution. Now I must go into costume planning as well.

I'm open to ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment