Saturday, February 23, 2013

I just visited India!

Essentially I wanted to tell my rollercoaster of a story about how I've mixed with desi culture over the last few years, but that can wait because I've just returned from my very first visit to India. I'll be publishing one post per day I was there and including pictures and what not. This very first post will be a little bare bones, though, since it takes forever to travel there. So without further adieu, I give you my travel journal...



Day 1
I've spent over a full 24 hours in planes and airports and really looking forward to putting my feet on solid ground in India.

I flew Emirates to Dubai and as far as planes go it felt like luxury. It also was 14 hours spent in and out of consciousness watching Bollywood and Kollywood movies. There were some decent ones available in the flght; Student of the Year, UrumiVazhakku Enn 18/9, and English Vinglish.

On paper a 8-9 hour layover seemed like a fine idea and makes it easy to reach and check into my hotel in New Delhi after landing at 9am, however there were a few pluses and minuses in practice with this.

Cool stuff:
The holographic-like sheikh greeting me as I headed toward my connection in Arabic and English.

The huge amount of duty free shopping available.

The volume of foreign nationals. I lost count of how many different languages I heard being spoken and a few I couldn't identify

Also, hookahs for sale in the gift shop with shisha and if I did the math they were cheap even in the airport!

Important announcements in Arabic and English. I tried memorizing the numbers but gave up drifting in ad out of consciousness.

Not so cool stuff:
I wore jeans, a long sleeve shirt with a hood and chappals (sandals) and I was freezing cold the whole time. They don't really sell sweatshirts or blankets in the desert. My bad next time ill dress for Seattle when heading to Dubai.

Adjusting to the restroom. This is kind of a part of any national travel and wasn't so bad, but I could see where my elder less worldly relatives would likely be freaked out, or at least grossed out. Frankly speaking America is one of the few countries that doesn't promote strong ass cleaning hygiene via its methods.

Being a solo travelling white female. I would have loved to have gone out and taken a tour and seen the Burj in the middle of the night but didn't want to feel hassled without travelling companions or trusted guide.


Now I'm on a 3 hour trip to New Delhi finally and am about to have breakfast, again. The food has been great on these flights, I recommend it. Not your typical airline crap, mostly. Also I just got the little customs form you fill out declaring stuff, cool I'll fill it out soon but I'd like to eat first and get it out of the way.

It will be great going home and gaining a day. The sun set, rose, and set again and I will see it rise on this leg once more as I reach New Delhi. Excited to figure out how I'll get a phone since I left the vonage at home and if I managed the right adapter and converter for power.. Here's hoping I don't have my phone or camera charger blow! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment